According to the National Fire Prevention Association, “nearly three out of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms.” The fact is that smoke detectors in the home save lives. Smoke detectors are inexpensive and easy to install. Call Titan Plumbing and Electric for service in Tampa, FL and let us show you where best to place smoke detectors, so you and your family get alerted quickly should something happen.
Are your outlets old and outdated? Check out our outlet repair and installation service for an upgrade.
How Many Smoke Detectors Do You Need?
Having enough smoke detectors in the house and knowing how to react when they go off can mean the difference between getting out of the house safely and the worst-case scenario. Many people are under-protected, thinking they have enough smoke detectors, but the truth is, you probably need more than you think. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, you need alarms inside every bedroom, outside every sleeping area, and on every level of the house. If you need more smoke detectors, call Titan Plumbing and Electric today for help.
How Often Should You Replace Your Smoke Alarms?
Many experts recommend that you put fresh batteries in your smoke alarms every year, but how often should you replace the alarm itself? Some people go their whole lives without replacing their smoke detectors, but the US Fire Administration says the average lifespan of smoke alarms is 8-10 years. It’s a good idea to write the installation date on the inside of the alarm, so you know when it’s time to replace it. The fact is that the instruments in the alarms wear out over time, so replacing them is a must.
If your home still has a fuse box, consider a breaker panel replacement for better performance.
Top 5 Benefits of Having Home Fire Alarms
Some people don’t think they need smoke alarms in the home, but there are many good reasons to have them installed. Here are the top five.
- Avoid Smoke Inhalation: If a fire breaks out and you’re asleep, you can die from smoke inhalation because you don't wake up in time. Also, many people die of smoke inhalation trying to escape a fire.
- Early Detection: The earlier you’re alerted to a fire, the better the chance you can escape unscathed. Smoke detectors save lives and help you avoid significant property damage by getting help quickly.
- Discounts On Insurance: Many homeowners’ policies allow for discounts when you install smoke alarms because, in many cases, you can save a home from early detection instead of losing it all in a fire.
- Peace of Mind 24/7: Today’s smart smoke detectors can alert you to a fire when you’re not home, allowing you to call the fire department.
- Affordable & Easy To Install: Most smoke detectors are affordable and don’t require a lot of technical know-how to install.