Electricity has become such an integral part of our lives that we often take it for granted – until something goes wrong.
Regular checks by an electrician can help prevent electrical problems in your home. But it is also important that you are aware of the warning signs so that you can take action before a small problem turns into a big one.
If you experience any of the warning signs discussed here, it’s important to contact a qualified electrical contractor like Titan Plumbing And Electrical as soon as possible to prevent further damage and potential hazards.
Why It Is Important To Maintain Your Home's Electrical System
You use the electricity in your home for just about everything – from cooking and cleaning to watching television and using your phone and computer. So it's important to make sure that your electrical system is in good working order.
Neglecting to do so can lead to a number of problems, including short-circuiting, overloaded circuits, fires, and electrical shocks. These problems can not only be costly to repair, but they can also be dangerous.
That's why it is important to be aware of the warning signs that your electrical system may need some attention. By taking action quickly, you can often prevent a small problem from turning into a big one.
It is also important to have your electrical system checked regularly by a qualified electrician. They will be able to spot any potential problems and make the necessary repairs or adjustments.
10 Warning Signs That Your Home's Electrical System Needs Attention
Here are ten warning signs that your home's electrical system needs attention:
Fuse Box Problems
Your primary defense against electrical problems is your home's fuse box. The fuse box protects your home's electrical system by shutting off the power to circuits that are overloaded.
A trip of your fuse box may be a result of a minor problem while a blown fuse usually indicates a more serious issue. Examples of such problems are;
- Short circuits
- A ground fault
- An arc fault
- Overloaded circuits
- Damaged wiring
- Circuit or circuit breaker problem
- Wrong fuse type
- Problems with your electrical outlets
If you are constantly having to reset your fuse box or replace blown fuses, it's time to contact an electrician.
You Have to Use Several Extension Cords
Extension cords are a convenient way to temporarily increase the number of electrical outlets available in your home. However, they are not intended for long-term use.
If you find yourself using extension cords on a regular basis, it's a sign that you need additional outlets installed. This is especially true if you have to use multiple extension cords to get the power you need.
Another problem with using extension cords is that they can easily become overloaded. This can happen if you plug in too many devices or if you use an extension cord that is not rated for the amount of power you need.
Overloaded extension cords are a fire hazard and should be avoided. If you find yourself using extension cords on a regular basis, contact an electrician to have additional outlets installed.
Regular Sparking of Your Electrical System
If you notice your lights sparking, this is definitely a cause for concern. This could be caused by a damaged electrical circuit, and if left unchecked could lead to an electrical fire.
You should call an emergency electrician right away if you see sparks coming from any part of your electrical system. While you wait, switch off the power to the affected area at your fuse box.
Lights that don't work or flicker could indicate a loose connection somewhere in your electrical system. This could be a fire hazard and should be checked out by an electrician as soon as possible.
Another problem that can cause your lights to flicker is an overloaded circuit. If you have too many devices plugged into one circuit, it can cause the lights to dim or flicker.
Hot Switches or Outlets
If you ever notice that a switch or outlet is hot to the touch, it's a sign that there is an electrical problem. This could be caused by loose connections, damaged wiring, or a number of other issues.
It is an indication that the wires cannot contain the current running through them and as such are overheating. This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed immediately by an electrician.
You Don't Know The Job of a Power Outlet
Because builders require a lot of power outlets during construction, they may put in extra outlets. While some builders remove the outlets when they're done, others simply disconnect the switches and leave the outlets there. As a result, you may have outlets in your home that you don't know what they're for.
If you have an outlet in your home that doesn't seem to serve any purpose, it's best to contact an electrician. They will be able to tell you if the outlet is safe to use or if it needs to be removed.
You Hear Noises In The Walls
Your walls house your home's wiring. They are not supposed to make any noise. If you hear buzzing or other sounds coming from your walls, it's a sign that there is a problem with your electrical system.
The noise may get louder when you use your electrical appliances. It is important to get a qualified electrician to check this out as soon as possible, as you may get accustomed to the noise and not realize that it's a problem.
You Get a Shock When You Use Your Electrical System
If you ever get a shock when using your electrical system, it's definitely a cause for concern. This can lead to a fire, so it's important to have it checked out as soon as possible.
In the meantime, turn off the power to the affected area at your fuse box. This will help prevent further damage. You should also keep everyone away from the area until an electrician can check it out.
Signs of Rust or Moisture Close to Your Electrical System
Water and electricity don't mix. If you see any rust or moisture near your electrical system, it's a sign that there may be a problem. Water is a good conductor of electricity. Because of this, if your outlets or switches are wet, the protective insulation could be compromised.
This could lead to an electrical shock or fire. If you see any rust or moisture, call an electrician right away.
You should also look out for signs of rust on your outlets and switches. Rusting occurs when water reaches metal fittings. This is a sure sign that there is a problem with your electrical system.
If you see any of these warning signs, it's important to call an electrician right away. If the switch is in use, make sure to turn off the power at your fuse box first. This will help prevent further damage to your electrical system.
Don't try to fix the problem yourself. Electrical work is dangerous and should only be done by a qualified electrician.
Burning Smell Coming From Your Electrical System
If you ever smell burning coming from your electrical system, it's a sign that there is a serious problem with your electrical wires. It occurs when there's a short circuit or when the wires are overloaded.
If you smell burning, turn off the power to the affected area at your fuse box and call an electrician right away. In the meantime, keep everyone away from the area until the problem can be fixed.
Contact Us For Any Problem in Your Electrical System
If you see any of these warning signs, it means that there is a problem with your electrical system. Don't try to fix it yourself. Electrical work is dangerous and should only be done by a qualified electrician.
The experts at Titan Plumbing And Electric are always here to help. We have years of experience dealing with electrical problems. Contact us today at 813-933-8010 to schedule a consultation. We'll be happy to take a look at your electrical system and recommend the best course of action.